I am a firm believer in the chakra system and how it works. The short version- Chakras are spinning wheels of energy in our bodies which are all linked together. When one of these main chakras goes out of balance; is underworked or overworked, it has a physical, emotional and mental impact on your body.
I meditate on chakras all the time especially the Heart Chakra during my yoga practice. It is super important to be in tune with your body and clean up shop once in a while as well. Once a year I usually cleans all seven of my chakras making sure all are balanced starting from the ground up focusing on the Root Chakra first. I meditate on that specific chakra for a week, then move on to the next.
I thought it would be postive to share with you guys how I do my cleanse and hopefully inspire someone out there to do something so small to improve their spiritual life significantly. Below are a few tips that I use and some information regarding the Chakra. Feel free to reach out to me! I would love love love feedback on your amazing journey whether your new to this or do this all the time.
Tips: This involves meditation so I suggest setting up your “shop” in a peaceful, no interruption zone spot in your home.
- Have a comfortable pillow to sit on while meditating. You do not need to spend $70.00 on a “Meditation Pillow”. A throw pillow from your bed will be just fine or you can stop in my favorite store HomeGoods and pick a cute decorative pillow for like $10 dollars. Make sure its wide enough to sit on.
- Have you alter or whatever you want to use set up already. When it is in your face ready to roll with zero clean up or set up we are most likely going to follow through with our meditation schedule. I like to call it “A Date with Oneself”.
- You do not need oils and crystals to balance your chakras, use what you have, use what you want that makes you comfortable. Your alter is YOUR home, YOUR spiritual space. You can have 1 thing or 80 things on it. The more you have on it does not make you any more spiritually inclined then next.
- Make sure your timer has a peaceful sound when it goes off. While your deep in your meditation you do not want to be frightened at the end with an alarming sound blurting in your ears. I set mine to a ring of a soft bell or sounds from nature.
- Be patient with yourself. You do not need to sit there for 60 minutes everyday. Do what you can. Maybe somedays are longer than others. Start with 5 minutes and work your way up.
Root Chakra (Muladhara):
Located: Faces downward towards your feet towards the base of your spine in the reign of your pubic bone.
Means: It is the chakra of survival and grounding, root-support.
Organs/Area: Reproductive organs, spinal cord, immune system, large intestine, legs and feet.
Influence on the Body: Mental stability, sense of security, sensuality, sexuality.
If Imbalanced: Varicose veins, lower back pain, depression, low self-esteem, security issues, constipation, knee problems.
Cures and how to balance:
- Wear red clothing
- Meditate/touch/carry a Jasper stone
- Light lavender incense
- Listen to sounds of nature, drumming
- Repeat the affirmation in your head “I am here, I exist” during meditation
- Eat red foods such as radish, beetroot, onion and red pepper
- Diffuse or wear Patchouli oil
When the Chakra is closed we may feel fearful, like a victim, blame others, and have low self esteem. When the chakra is healthy we take care of needs, we are self sufficient and have a sense of identity. When the Chakra is too open we may feel excessive with things such as being a workaholic and not letting things go.
What I do: I Light a candle, place my jasper stone on my alter, and put Patchouli Oil on my wrists. I then set my timer for 12 minutes. I take a comfortable seat on my pillow, sit up nice and tall pressing the shoulder blades down the spine and close my eyes. I then place my hands in Muladhara Mudra. I take 5 deep breaths and start chanting the affirmation “I am here, I exist” in my head. Before you know it your buzzer is going off. There are many different affirmations you can chant but this is my favorite one. See? Super simple.
Stay tuned for next week moving on to the Sacral Chakra!