Looking for a quick easy satisfying snack with no added sugar? These mini banana chocolate muffins are to die for and they are super simple to make. Anytime I have to bake it usually turns out being a horrible mess but I think I mastered these! They were so good in fact I had to make another batch for my niece!
What you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/3 cups of melted butter
- 3/4 cups of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 3 ripe bananas
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Mash bananas
- Combine all the ingredients in the bowl. If you can find this vanilla on Amazon I suggest getting it…it’s from Mexico and the bomb.com
- When your done mixing use a teaspoon to spoon mixture in mini cupcake pan
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until tops of muffins are lightly browned
I am constantly fighting the fight with my immune system since I am a student surrounded by germs at school and a nanny usually around two sick kids all day long. This means any natural immune system booster I can take is being taken daily. Recently, I have been seeing Elderberry in every form; cough drop, gummy vitamins, tea, syrup etc. Since Elderberries are know to fight the flu and cold viruses, I wanted to introduce them to my diet, so I decided to make my own syrup. A friend shared a recipe with me to make my own. Its super simple, less expensive than buying it at the store, and takes only a half an hour to make!
What you will need:
- 4oz of dried elderberries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cloves
- 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of honey
In one medium size pot add elderberries, cinnamon stick, 5 cloves, grated ginger, and two cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. (takes about 4 minutes) Turn down heat to a simmer and leave covered for another 25 minutes. Strain everything in a bowl and mash with spoon to get extra juice out of the berries. Add your honey. Let cool for 10 minutes and store in a mason jar in the refrigerator. The syrup lasts for up to a month!
(Me shoving face as per usual in Italy)
Although I am not one who believes in diets, with summer around the corner (thank god) I have been more conscious on what is going in my mouth replacing most of my snacks or desserts with healthier options that still satisfy my sweet tooth. I do this so that I CAN eat whatever I want on date nights, fun occasions and weekends. I never want the gilt of not going for ice cream….life is too short for that. BUT if I did it every night I would blow up like a blow fish. So…how does one have best of both worlds? It’s called balance. Below are a few of my favorite healthier snack options that I can’t get enough of.
1. Fresh cut strawberries or pineapple with a little drizzle of chocolate sauce, maybe pair it with half a kit Kat.
2. Banana with one tablespoon of almond butter. This is the most filling.
3. Apple with cinnamon. Cinnamon is a game changer in life in general.
4. Toasted coconut vanilla yogurt with strawberries. Make sure the yogurt you pick though is not loaded with sugar.
5. Frozen blueberries.
I am beyond excited to kick this series off this weekend! What to expect? Detox the body, feel more energized, healthy, flexible and less stressed. Sign up for my 6 week Yin series- a holistic approach for proper organ function. You can sign up for one or all the classes. In each class we will be working on 2 of the 12 meridian channels. I incorporate the use of oils and mediation and will give you the tools you need to start or strengthen your meditation practice….how to calm the mind, leaving the to do lists at the door, focusing on yourself and only yourself. Remember when we feel great others around us will feel your vibes. The series begins on Saturday January 7th at 9:30 am at Breathe Life Sangha in Toms River NJ. Hope to see you on the mat! http://www.breathelifesangha.com/
- Honor your body: This is one that I am most proud of. Our society seems to be obsessed with achieving the perfect body….But what is the perfect body? It is a personal preference and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I’ll tell you what my idea of a perfect body is…a healthy and happy one. I have stretch marks on my hips, a little bit of cellulite, a mini roll (that I’m saving for later…get it)? when I sit and scars all over my body from my invasive Melanoma which left me scared not only physically but mentally as well. No, I do not have a six pack, perfectly perfect skin or huge boobs……BUT I can tell you what I do have.
- Two eyes that have seen some of the most amazing sunrises and sunsets all over the world
- Two arms that are able to wrap around all my loved ones giving them the biggest cuddles
- Two legs that have taken me to some of the most amazing places all over the world and walked out of fears path
- Wrinkles forming around my eyes showing off all the laughing, smiling and sunshine I have gotten over the years
- Oh and a nice booty that is nice and full to support my sitting in a lounge chair eating and sipping cocktails in the summer all day habit 😉
So what if I don’t have abs? I enjoy food WAY to much to ever say “I can’t have that”. My hearty appetite has led me to eat all different kinds of food all around the world which plays a huge part in experiencing other cultures and have gained friends from all around the world because of it. So what I have scars? They show your strength and add character. So what if I have a dimple here or there…I embrace my curves. I do not see these things as imperfections. This is real. This is me. If you don’t like don’t look. At the end of the day my point is this, I want to live in a healthy body and have happiness pouring out from my roll (insert crying laughing emoji) How we feel about our bodies is an inside job. Yes, it helps that a special someone has come into my life and reminds me every single day that I am the most beautiful sexy person ever but I felt confident and secure before him. People can come and go in your life but how you view yourself is all that matters. No one can take that from you. Use your body to its fullest potential and stop focusing on what it looks like.
2. Let go of things that no longer serve you: It’s just as simple as that. It’s not easy to let go, but it is much more painful to try and hold on to something that wants to pass. I accepted that I no longer was meant to be a fashion publicist. The change and adjustment was hard but I honor the moments I was in it and look forward to the future. This also goes for our relationships. Sometimes we are not meant to be friends with every person that has touched our lives forever and for always. Embrace the good moments you have had and lightly let them go. No need to be mead when doing so. At the end of the day, do what makes you happy and never dwell on the past. Trust the universe. Everything happens for a reason. I know this for a FACT!
3. Breathe: Before you respond to anger, hurt, sadness….breathe. Is it really what you want to say? How do you really feel? Our words have a way of staying with people so never try and say something just to hurt someones feelings just because we are hurting inside. When you are facing fear in the face….breathe. All will be ok in the end. When your stressed and having a bad day….breathe, someone else is having a worse day then you. When you get a delicious meal….breathe….for you know in a few moments when you devour it you will have to open your button on your jeans….or is that just me? Our breath is very important. It helps calm the mind and keep us sane.
4. Be present…and ok with it: Sometimes in life, we can get so caught up in it that we forget what we have in front of us. Never dwell on the past, it is what it is and you can only learn from it and move on. Every experience we have good and bad is meant to teach us something. No one is perfect…NO ONE. (except for boo boo ba ba head…my niece) Don’t worry too much about the future, it is not here yet so you don’t know what your cards will be. Focus on now. How you feel, how you love and what your grateful for, because things can change at a drop of a dime.
5. You can achieve more than you think: This is another big one. In the last 4 years I have overcome so many fears its kind of insane. Yes I am known to hop on a flight at any given moment and am a world traveler. Yessss. BUT I was super afraid of planes and still am!! Like super super! When I was sick I looked back and said to myself, what have you done with your life? What have you achieved? A ton of designer things didn’t count….Didn’t make me feel good. I promised myself then and there that if I can overcome this I WILL 100% live life 100% of the time. Money, time, a person or FEAR will not hold me back. I want to see places people read about but never visit. And the glorious thing is I have and then some! Experience is far more valuable then money ever will be. Another fear….bugs. All my Bali peeps can attest to this. But I managed to sleep and live with bugs the size of house pets and came out of it just fine….kinda. What I am trying to say is we can do whatever we really want to do. Just breathe and move through it one step at a time. What’s the worst thats going to happen? Like I say to my students every class…”I am powerful, I am strong and I am loved”.